Friday, December 19, 2008

I "saw" Grandpa Ison

An irrigation canal runs through our neighborhood. In warmer weather it's quite the hang-out for Mallards and geese because friendly people supply food.

Yesterday I was driving up the street when I saw a large white goose pacing about the curb next to the canal. But no--at closer range it was actually a very chubby and bright white Leghorn rooster. And a magnificent speciman he was, especially compared to the scraggly, manure-caked hens we grew up with.

I wondered why a rooster would be strolling the neighborhood. Nobody keeps chickens as pets. Nobody keeps chickens for food or eggs nowdays either. I had an incredible urge to pick him and bring him home.

I laughed. He must be a sign from God. (Who evidently dispenses humor along with His tender mercies.)

6 comments:

Megan said...

Beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

Candice said...

Touching.

No, Dean is not a bishop, he is the 2nd counselor to our bishop, does that count?

Chanelson said...

What on earth would Dad have done with a rooster?
What on earth would the CATS have done with a rooster?!

I just wanted to let you know that I'm going to try to take another hack at the blogging. I'm http://chanelson.blogspot.com. Nice 'n easy.

Jana Lee Bumblebee said...

test

Jana Lee Bumblebee said...

What the cats would do with a rooster: Hide under the beds

What dad would do with a rooster: Share his desk and use it as a staring point during deep philosophical reveries.

Smullin Family said...

Cool encounter...good thing you reccognized him. :o)