Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Freakazoidal commute from Hell

The corp called for a 2hr departmental meeting in Boise @ St. Alphonsus hospital. (My dept=8 people) 8AM yesterday. Did I drive? Not on your life. I rode with 2 co-workers and nearly freaked out. We left in 7AM fog. Why are people driving bumper to bumper at 55 mph IN THE FOG?????

Brrrrring. Wendee's speaker phone goes off. (She's the driver). It's her mom, who works in Boise, calling to warn of an auto accident on the connector, precisely where we need to go. Thanks for the bad omen. Traffic stacks up immediately and now we crawl bumper to bumper at 5MPH. Brrrring again. It's Lorna, co-worker, several cars back. She knows a variety of curse words for the situation. She's from Caldwell, thus having extra miles to work up a fine string. Brrrrring again. It's Robert, our boss, miles behind us. Also an excellent curser. The two cups of water I drank for breakfast hit my bladder. We crawl for 1hr 10 min, to the crash site which is now nothing but flickering flares. For crying out loud, a commuter bus passes us. And a commuter van. What I wouldn't give for a restroom.

I hate this, I hate this, I hate this. Wendee keeps up a line of patter. "Oh this is nothing. I used to live in Tacoma and do this everyday." Well, good. Keep your eyes on that bumper 2 inches in front of you. Lorna calls again and announces she's claustrophobic. She expects to get rear-ended any moment. Wendee and Nicole (in front seat) want to know if I'm OK? Frankly, FREAKING NOT!!!!

Yes, we finally get to the hospital at 8:10 and assault the restrooms. Facilitator Woman (from corporate Novi, Michigan) offers coffee and sympathy. I am so tense I could bite heads off. Boss Robert arrives 15 minutes later. We have our meeting. yada yada yada I ride with a different co-worker back to Nampa. The fog is twice as thick. We take a country road instead of freeway. Again, another car accident shuts down a 1-mile section of AMity.

Today I hear rumors that my boss's boss (Jill) will soon approach me for bus route info. Supposedly her commute yesterday, (though at a different time of day) put the fear in her too. I hear she wants an inservice on how to get from Nampa to Boise without death, fear, or tension.

6 comments:

A*Waite said...

Yuck! I used to go the opposite direction and see the whole canyon county head to Boise. It was nice to wave as I sped off the other day.

Lora Dawn said...

Somehow it comforts me that you weren't alone in feeling freaked.

Smullin Family said...

Reading this gives me tension knots in my shoulders. Yikes. Glad you are safe and sound now.

I too got to drive in that thick fog on Tuesday morning. I took Ustick to Nampa...not too bad. But the parking lot was like an ice rink. We had to shuffle our feet to make it to the building safely. :)

Tiffany Hales said...

Ok, now you are reminding me why I don't want to live in Idaho! THE FOG.

angela said...

Jana,
Sorry you had such a rough start and scary day. I"m not against fog as long as I can see the car ahead of me. When I can't see the lines on the road then I freak out.
Not a good way to introduce commuting.
The driver talking on the cell phone probably didn't help any.

jwilson said...

Dreadful day. Nightmare for you.